cRc Beth Din

What Can I Expect During The Get Procedure?

The Av Beth Din (head of the rabbinic court) meets with the two parties to determine how their names are to appear in the Get. At times, English names and/or nicknames are used in lieu of one’s given Hebrew name. Once the names are ascertained, the scribe and rabbinic aides are authorized by the husband…

Who Pays For The Get?

In some cases, a divorce settlement agreement will specify which party is liable to pay for the Get. Where this is not the case, the parties are expected to discuss this point and inform the cRc as to who will be liable for payment. In many cases, the parties amicably agree to divide the cost…

Why Are There Different Fees For A Get?

The basic cost of a Get allows the cRc to retain the services of a scribe and five rabbinic aides who serve as witnesses and members of the rabbinic tribunal. A portion of the fee is allocated to administrative expenses that accompany the running of a Beth Din. When both parties are in attendance, the…

Can A Get Be Written Where The Divorce Has Not Been Finalized?

Yes. The Get is usually written after the couple has filed for civil divorce even though it has not yet been finalized. This ensures that the Beth Din will do nothing that interferes with applicable state law governing dissolution of marriages. However, if a divorce proceeding is imminent, a Get may be written earlier under…

When Are Get Appointments Available?

The Beth Din meets, by appointment, on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday afternoons. Other times may be available only by special appointment. The husband must come to the Beth Din to initiate the Get process, and the wife is also present to complete the process. The entire Get procedure takes approximately 1 1/2 hours.

Can A Get Be Written Without The Consent Of Both Parties?

It is the expectation of our tradition that parties that were once bound by sacred vows will respect each other sufficiently to participate fully in the Get process. This cooperation allows both parties to proceed with their new lives, in a spirit of propriety and dignity.

What if one party objects to the giving of the Get because he or she believes the marriage can be saved, or because they believe the Get should be given at a later time?

In such a case, the Beth Din will convene a Din Torah (Jewish arbitration proceeding) to determine whether and when a Get should be given. At the Din Torah, each party has the opportunity to present their case, and a panel of three dayanim (judges) will issue a decision. If a party refuses to abide…

What happens if one party refuses to appear at the Beth Din?

The Beth Din will call or send a letter (hazmana) via certified and regular mail, asking the reluctant spouse to contact the Beth Din for an appointment within 14 days. Should there be no response, the Beth Din will send a second hazmana to the recalcitrant spouse, and if necessary, a third hazmana as well….

What information do I need to bring with me for the Get proceeding?

You should bring with you: (i) Jewish marriage contract (Ketubah) and civil license, if available; (ii) one form of photo identification, i.e., driver’s license, passport, etc.; (iii) documentation from previous divorce, if applicable; and (iv) documentation of conversion, if applicable.

May I bring a friend to the Get proceeding?

Yes. Each party may be accompanied by a family member or friend.